Saturday 22 February 2014

the twelve sweaters // sweater three.


I have always been so torn about 'Rowan Big Wool', the finished product looks a dream but knitting it up is like sand paper to the skin. Plus I am getting a bit sick of knitting with Rowan products as they are becoming slightly relentless for the knots in their yarn. If I am paying above average for quality yarn I expect a little more than just average to below average quality (I think I have about three to four left in me).











This jumper took a lot longer than usual to complete due to the fact I have taken such a disliking to the yarn and knitting it became more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. I am also finding Rowan patterns to have a lot of mistakes which now I am more confident in reading patterns doesn't phase me so much as I am able to adapt and resolve with confidence but when I was first starting this completely panicked me. Infact I still have a half knitted jumper hidden away somewhere from last summer due to Rowans' knots and confusing patterns. I believe if your paying more for quality then there should be no room for slippage, it needs to be perfect, flawless, yet I am finding alot of products with high ticket prices poor on quality. Anyway that's a story for another time and probably resulted productively as it means I will be making alot more of my garments now rather than splashing out on shop bought - fall apart after three wears garments. (A blog for another time). 

The jumper it's self, when stuck in, grew pretty quickly but for the ten balls advised I only needed nine, another flaw to find in Rowans' patterns - they always over estimate on yarn. Can you tell I am getting slightly fed up... no? I've had a lot of positive feedback on this sweater though and it is the most wearable by far. For my next I am back to my love affair with Alpaca and I am going to have a go at writing my own pattern wish me luck. 

This pattern was taken from 'Easy Winter Knits' by Martin Storey and the pattern was 'Flossie'.

Has anybody else experienced similar situations with Rowan yarn? Let me know at harleyholley@hotmail.co.uk