Sunday 26 January 2014

the twelve sweaters // sweater two.





If you follow me on my Instagram or Facebook, I’m sure your sick to the back teeth of seeing me post about this sweater but my goal is to knit a sweater a month so I'm sure they'll be popping up left right and center. After knitting sweater one I got a bit obsessed and got it into my head I was going to knit a sweater for a couple of my interviews ... (at the time this was in two days time and I had to work in the day, so evenings held my only spare time). So needless to say when I told people I was going to knit a jumper in two evenings a comeback of nervous laughter was mainly what I had been greeted with. I did actually meet my deadline even though my body was excused of any sleep but rewarded with cheers on the train when I finally cast off and managed to sew everything in. The whole thing was a bit surreal but the praise I received when people seen it either on their screen or in the street made the sleepless nights completely worth it.


So I took another pattern from Martin Storeys’ ‘Easy Winter Knits‘ book named ‘Fresh‘ though the pattern in question used Rowan Big Wool, which I am not a huge fan of and I wasn’t head over heels for the cable pattern featured on the front. So I decided to adapt the pattern slightly ignoring the cable on the front - this made the jumper wider than intended especially as I was using ‘Rowan Alpaca Chunky‘ in ‘Dove‘ which has a lot of give in the yarn. The over all pattern was easy to follow, I always find Rowans' patterns easy to follow and relaxing. It's definitely one to follow in front of the tele but I would advise it for the more experienced knitter. If I knit the jumper up again - which judging by the amount of commissions I have been asked to do for the jumper I will adjust the pattern allowing for less stitches. The sweater is perfectly cosy, the perfect shade of cream and the perfect answering to layering up any outfit. 


For my sweater three I am going to tackle my pet hate of using Rowan Big Wool and try out knitting with bamboo needles for the first time, pretty much every knitter I know swears by them. Also shortly in the week I’ll put up a few pictures my friend Lily took of me in the sweater and if your ever interested in me knitting you a sweater email me at (harleyholley@hotmail.co.uk say hello and I will see what I can do).